Where do I register?
Conference Registration for GISRUK 2017 will take place in the University Place building on Oxford Road:
How do I get there?
Manchester is a very well connected city, and travel to GISRUK is possible via many different modes of transport:
We are located close to both Piccadilly main line station (about two and a half hours from London) and Oxford Road train station, with Victoria train station a little further away. The closest station to the conference is Manchester Oxford Road, which is approximately a 10-15 minute walk from the conference venue. Simply go down the station approach to Oxford Road and turn right. Alternatively, buses stop outside the Palace Hotel, immediately opposite the station.
The Oxford Road link bus (number 147) runs from Piccadilly Rail Station across the campus stopping at 14 locations and finishing at Grafton Street. This service runs on weekdays between 7.15am and 6.45pm, at ten-minute intervals, and can be caught from the Fairfield Street entrance to Piccadilly Station. A taxi from Piccadilly Station to the Oxford Road area of the campus will cost you about £5.
You can plan your journey on the National Rail Enquiries website.
National Express coaches serve over 1,200 destinations across the UK from the Chorlton Street Coach Station, which is near Piccadilly railway station and a short walk from both University campuses. You can contact the Chorlton Street Coach Station be telephone on 08705 808080.
To get from Chorlton Street to Oxford Road, turn right out of Chorlton Street Coach Station onto Chorlton Street and walk to the junction with Whitworth Street. You can then catch the 147 Oxford Road link bus to the conference.
Bus and Tram
There are local bus services running throughout the Greater Manchester area, together with the Metrolink tram service. The Oxford Road link bus (number 147) can be used to travel to the conference.
Other services include:
- Buses from Piccadilly Bus Station: 14, 16, 41, 42, 43, 43a, 44, 45a, 48, 111, 140, 142, 157, 250.
- Buses from Oxford Road Station: All buses that run along Oxford Road.
- Buses from Cross Street outside Boots the Chemist: 47, 87, 50, 143, 197, 291.
- Buses from Manchester Airport: 43a, 45a.
- Bus from Piccadilly Train Station: 147.
- Bus from Victoria Station: 42.
- Bus from Shudehill Interchange: 18.
- Tram: Alight at St Peter's Square and walk or catch a bus down Oxford Road.
For information on bus and tram timetables within Greater Manchester visit the GMPTE website (Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive) or call 0870 6082608.
Cycling is a very popular, cheap and environmentally friendly way to travel to The University of Manchester. You'll find parking for over 2,500 cycles across the campuses and halls of residence, with large numbers of Sheffield/hoop stands close to building entrances.
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) provide a vast amount of information on cycling which can be found on the TfGM cycling website. They also provide free pdf maps for the city and an excellent interactive map to help you plan your journey.
M62 (eastbound), M602
- Leave the M62 at J12 and join the M602.
- At the end of M602, join Regent Road (A57) and continue along and join the A57M (Mancunian Way).
- Leave at the second exit signposted A34 Congleton (hair-pin bend) and keep left, following signs for The University of Manchester.
- Turn left onto the A34 (dual carriageway) and get in the right-hand lane.
- Turn right at the first set of traffic lights into Grosvenor Street.
- Stay in the left-hand lane and turn left at the next set of traffic lights onto Oxford Road (B5117).
M62 (westbound), M60
- Leave M62 at J18 and join M60 ring road.
- Leave M60 at J22 and turn right at traffic lights onto Oldham Road (A62).
- Continue along until the end and turn left to join Great Ancoats Street (A665).
- Follow signs for The University of Manchester and join the Mancunian Way (A57M).
- Take the exit from the Mancunian Way signposted A5103/Manchester Airport (M56)/Birmingham (M6).
- At the roundabout take the first exit onto Higher Cambridge Street.
- Turn left at the second set of traffic lights onto Booth Street West and then turn right onto Oxford Road (B5117).
- Leave the M6 at Junction 19 and turn right onto the A556.
- Follow signs for Manchester Airport and join the M56.
- Stay on M56 until it joins Princess Park Way (A5103).
- Continue for a further four miles (6km) before turning right at Young's Royal Brewery into Moss Lane East (B5219).
- Continue to the T-junction and turn left onto Oxford Road (B5117).
- Proceed down Oxford Road and the University campus is straight ahead.
- At the end of the motorway join Hyde Road (A57).
- Continue along for approx three miles (4.5 km), following signs for the city centre.
- Upon reaching a major roundabout (the Apollo Theatre is on the left) take the second exit, Brunswick Street (signposted The University of Manchester).
- Continue along and go straight through the next set of traffic lights.
Car parking is available at the University. The multi-storey car parks at both Booth Street West and Charles Street offer paid public parking and are convenient and safe.
If you plan to travel by air to The University of Manchester, our nearest airport is Manchester Airport. Manchester Airport is one of the largest and busiest in the country. It is located about 10 miles (16km) south of the city centre.
The airport has a number of transport links to the city:
- Train – The airport's two terminals are linked directly to the city centre by a fast, frequent 24-hour train link to both Piccadilly and Oxford Road stations.
- Taxi – A taxi from the airport to the University will cost approximately £20.
- Bus – Local buses also run to the Oxford Road and Sackville Street areas of the campus.
Most major airlines fly to and from Manchester. For more information please visit the Manchester Airport website.